Exercising your access rights responsibly
You must exercise your access rights responsibly, and this part of the Code explains how everyone can do that. The main responsibilities can be summarised as -
- take responsibility for your own actions - eg care for your own safety, keep alert for hazards, take special care with children.
- respect people's privacy and peace of mind - eg. do not act in ways that might annoy or alarm people, especially at night.
- help land managers and others to work safely and effectively - eg keep clear of land management operations like harvesting or tree-felling, avoid damaging crops, leave gates as you find them.
- care for your environment - eg. don't disturb wildlife, take your litter away with you.
- Keep your dog under proper control - dogs are popular companions, but take special care if near livestock, or during the bird breeding season, and always pick up after your dog.
- Take extra care if you are organising an event or running a business - eg talk to the managers of any land which you may plan to use intensively or regularly.